Marlow 4  Northwood 1

Tuesday 30th January 2024


1 Roraigh Browne
2 Harry McKenna (69m)
3 Sam Jenkins
4 Carl Stewart
5 Luke Tingey ©
6 Harry Gallagher  (61m)
7 Adam Laaref
8 Teddy Stacey (82m)
9 Dan Williams
10 Lucas Sinclair
11 Kofi Anokye-Boadi
12 Archie James (82m)
14 Matt Messer
15 Romario Jonas (61m)
16 Martin Flannery
17 Stephan Langley (69m)

Aaron Watkins, Curtis Chapple (Joshua Masters 57m), Elijah Oladunjoye , Sebastian D'Aversa, Chris Ovenden, Louis Rogers, Benjamin Mulley, Naheer-Omar Nawaf, Cameron Thompson (Kai Hamilton-Olise 69m), David Tarpey (Rhys Harper 69m), Dawid Rogalski

The Woods were unable to follow Saturday’s win over Uxbridge as they were well beaten by play-off seeking Marlow under lights at the Alfred Davis Stadium.

With Deago Dunbar-Bonnie unavailable, manager Ben Bukowski was forced into one change with Lucas Sinclair coming in up front with Kofi Anokye-Boadi moving to an unfamiliar left wing-back role.

Marlow came into the game six matches unbeaten and in goalscoring form too, so it was always going to be tough for the Woods at a ground where they had lost on their last six visits.

But Northwood made a positive start. Dan Williams with a shot that was always climbing too high to worry goalkeeper Aaron Watkins and then a Sam Jenkins corner was met by a flicked header from Anokye-Boadi that was over the top.

It was mistake that gifted the Blues the opening goal after just eight minutes. Roraigh Browne attempted to punch clear a ball into the box but collided with Harry Gallagher and the ball ran loose where Dave Tarpey quickly pounced and gratefully accepted the opportunity to score.

There was no sign of this affecting the Woods encouraging start though and immediately an excellent cross from Harry McKenna was met by a header from Williams that bounced just wide of the post.

This was followed on 10 minutes with an equalising goal as Adam Laaref carrying the ball forward, beating his man and hitting a cracking shot that caught out Watkins with its pace and flew into the net for his second goal in two games.

On 16 minutes a free-kick from Jenkins was met by Luke Tingey’s free header but this flashed wide and a minute later Marlow were back in front as a quick break sent Dawid Rogalski away down the left. He crossed early, picked out Naheer-Omar Nawaf and the winger took a touch to beat Tingey before slotting home.

PHOTOS by James Brown

The first half continued at a fast pace with both sides carving out chances. Laaref went close again cutting in from the left with a run and strike that Watkins pushed wide of his near post. Then Tarpey found enough space in the box for a left-footed strike that went the wrong side of the far post.

On 39 minutes, Gallagher got a header in on goal but it lacked the power to beat Watkins and then another fast break from the Blues saw Browne keep out a Rogalski effort at his near post.

Just before the break, the Woods had a real chance to level. Laaref battled to win the ball and fed Anokye-Boadi who centred. Williams laid it off neatly to Sinclair who took a touch and then fired for goal but it was wide of the target.

So, still plenty to play for as the second-half got underway and early on, another cross from Anokye-Boadi caused problems but Williams was unable to pounce and then Teddy Stacey’s shot was wayward.

And Marlow made the Woods pay emphatically with two goals inside two minutes. Firstly, on 54 minutes, Tarpey sniffed out another mistake and then twisted past Gallagher and Tingey to fire home his second of the game.

Almost from the restart, Rogalski was put through and the division’s top scorer made no mistake to take the game away from Northwood at 4-1.

There was still incident to follow as just after Romario Jonas had replaced Gallagher, Marlow defender Elijah Oladunjoye picked up a second yellow card for a foul on Laaref to leave the home side with ten men for the final half-hour.

New signing Stephan Langley was introduced for McKenna and on 71 minutes, Tingey knocked in a delicious cross which was met by the head of Sinclair but Watkins was equal to it, diving to his left to keep it out.

On the whole, Marlow kept Northwood at bay in the final twenty minutes and Rogalski tested Browne with a good strike which was tipped over the bar before Tingey once again got his head to an Anokye-Boadi corner. It looked a certain goal but it somehow went the wrong side of the post.

REPORT by Alan Evans