Player profiles  Team  Report  Photos

Middlesex Senior Cup Final 2007

Hayes 1  Northwood 1
(After extra time: Northwood won 4-2 on penalties)
(at Hayes FC)

Easter Monday 9th April 2007


Team line-up
Bill Fishenden
2 Lee Holland
3 Danny Murphy
4 Terry Hogan
5 Perry Norman
6 Wayne Carter
7 Dwane Williams
8 Danny Julienne
9 Harry Hunt (off 77m)
10 Peter Dean
11 Jerome Hall
12 Elliott Buchanan
14 Nick Pearce
15 Dave Nolan
16 Karl Lewis (sub 77m)
17 Bradley Hewitt


Colin was appointed Northwood manager in September 2005, and he was successful in his target of retaining the Woods' Premier Division spot. After a playing career which took him to Harrow Borough (457 games), Yeading, Ruislip Manor, Berkhamsted Town, and Chertsey, he has previously managed at Ruislip Manor, Chertsey Town, and Boreham Wood. Aged 43.
DAVE NOLAN (Assistant Manager)
Now aged 36, Dave returned to Chestnut Avenue for a third spell with the club in January 2005, and was appointed player assistant-manager in September 2005. Originally made his Northwood debut back in May 1990 and after a long successful spell which helped the team into the Isthmian League, he moved on to play for Marlow, Enfield, Purfleet, Chesham United, Chertsey Town and Southall, before returning in 1999. Dave joined Hendon in July 2004, but was back at Chestnut Avenue within six months.
Fred joined the coaching staff from Wealdstone during last season, and he had played a major role in helping Northwood to avoid relegation. Fred has carried on his hard work again this season, often under extremely difficult circumstances.
17-year-old goalkeeper who still plays in the club's Allied Counties League squad, and after being named as substitute keeper for the first team on several occasions, made his senior debut against Enfield in January 2007.
TERRY HOGAN (Defender)
Central defender, aged 18, who has progressed this season from the youth side to make several first team appearances.
Bradley is a tall young defender, who progressed through from Boreham Wood's PASE youth scheme. He is the third youngest player ever to make his full first-team debut for Boreham Wood, and played in an FA Trophy semi-final as substitute. He joined the Woods in October 2006. Age 19.
NICK PEARCE (Defender)
Teenage defender who made his first team debut during the 2006/07 campaign, making him one of only three players ever to have appeared for Woods teams at all levels thorough the club, right from Under 8s.
Centre-half Perry joined the Woods in August 2006 from Hemel Hempstead Town, where he was an integral part of their promotion-winning side last season. Before that, 26-year-old Perry had several seasons at Harrow Borough and has also played for QPR, Hayes, Wealdstone, Farnborough, Cambridge City, Nuneaton Borough and Chertsey Town.
Left-back Danny is just 19, and joined the Woods in August 2006 from Hendon, where he made 42 appearances last', season. The young defender signed for Hendon in the summer of 2005 following his release from Queens Park Rangers, where he has been since the age of nine.
LEE HOLLAND (Defender)
19-year old defender who signed for the Woods in October 2006, having been released from his contract by Wealdstone. As a youngster Lee was involved in Northwood's youth section.
25-year-old Danny re-joined Woods from Hendon to start his second spell with the club in March 2006. He started out at Hayes, playing  in the Conference, but after suffering a broken leg moved to Wealdstone in the pre-season of 2003/04. He was transferred to Northwood in late February 2004 and then moved to Hendon five months later.
Skilful midfielder aged 26 who returned to Chestnut Avenue for a second spell at the club in January 2005, and now skippers the side. Originally joined the Woods from Wealdstone in the summer of 2001, having previously had experience in the Nationwide Conference with Hayes, and played at Brentford as a youngster. Wayne, 26, was an integral member of the first-team squad until suffering a broken leg in December 2003, prior to joining Hendon in July 2004.
Dwane joined Hayes in the summer of 2003 from Harefield United, for whom he had been player of the year for the previous two seasons. The midfielder, aged 23, had a loan spell with the Woods in 2004-05, and re-joined the club in October 2006 from Hendon.
PETER DEAN (Forward)
21-year-old forward who arrived at Chestnut Avenue during the 1 2004-05 season, and scored on his Woods debut in a Middlesex Charity Cup quarter-final at Harefield United. Peter previously played for Hayes in the Nationwide South (8 goals in 30 games), having joined the Missioners from Maidenhead United. He started his career as a trainee at Watford, and also played at Brentford and Wycombe Wanderers. Peter was a member of the successful British Universities squad, and last season signed a contract at Chestnut Avenue.
17-year-old striker who had an excellent season in the reserves and youth team last time around, and is now a regular member of the senior squad.
A 20-year-old striker who shows great potential, Jerome was signed from local football in November 2006, and he recently signed a contract with the Woods.
HARRY HUNT (Forward)
19-year old striker who joined the Woods during this season, having played at Waltham Abbey and Barnet, and has found the net a few times in his early games for the club.
KARL LEWIS (Forward)
Striker Karl joined Woods just before the March 2007 transfer deadline.



The Woods first entered the county’s top competition, the Middlesex Senior Cup, in the 1983-84 season, and having been losing finalists in 2000 and 2002, they finally won the cup in 2007, beating Conference South outfit Hayes on their own Church Road ground.

Northwood deservedly collected the silverware as Colin Payne’s youngsters kept their composure in a tense penalty shoot-out following an entertaining match, Jerome Hall putting away the winning spot-kick after keeper Bill Fishenden had denied  Adam Logie, whilst Stafforde Palmer also missed the target for Hayes.

Chances were at a premium in the early stages as players struggled to get to grips with the rock hard playing surface, both sides being restricted to long range efforts, Hayes’ Liam Feeney and former Missioner Dwane Williams both off target. However, Hayes began to look threatening with the speedy Feeney making headway down the left flank. Twice he sent over dangerous crosses from which Rhys Price shot wide before Michael Bartley headed into the arms of Fishenden.

Having struggled to create any openings, Woods finally tested Hayes keeper Adam Thomson, Peter Dean finding space on the edge of the box before getting his shot in on the Missioners’ goal. Northwood were beginning to find their range and Harry Hunt was the next to go close, but was unable to keep his shot down after running at the Hayes defence.

But Hayes had a couple of gilt-edged opportunities to take the lead shortly before the half-time break, Bartley miscuing with the goal at his mercy whilst Feeney blasted over after cutting into the box. However, the deadlock was broken five minutes after the restart. Price provided the through ball for Bartley, who was bravely denied by the impressive Fishenden, but the ball ran loose to Palmer, who shot into the far corner of the net to give Hayes the lead.

Northwood responded well, the hard working Danny Murphy almost reaching Hunt with a dangerous cross into the box before the latter was narrowly over with a snapshot. The lively Hall was becoming increasingly influential for Northwood, one mazy run ending with a 30-yard strike that was well held by Thomson.

And Hall was in the mix once again when he saw his deflected shot well saved by Thomson at the foot of the post. Northwood continued to take the game to Hayes as they sought the equaliser, Hall seeing another effort fall into the arms of Thomson.

However, there was a scare at the other end, Bartley hooking his shot beyond Fishenden but Lee Holland was on hand to clear the danger.

Northwood made a change on 77 minutes, Hunt making way for Karl Lewis. And Woods were immediately back in the match as Williams latched onto Wayne Carter’s free-kick into the box to send a header past the poorly positioned Thomson to give Northwood a 78th minute equaliser.

And the same combination threatened again moments later, Thomson dealing with the situation on this occasion. Woods were playing with renewed energy and looking the more likely to grab the winner, and it almost came courtesy of the head of Hayes substitute Daniel Dyer, who cleared Dean’s cross over his own crossbar.

However, the scores remained level and the match moved into extra-time. Northwood looked out on their feet in the first period as Hayes enjoyed the majority of possession, Bartley heading wide from Feeney’s cross, although Dean did test Thomson with a 25-yard shot. But Woods found a reserve of energy for the second period of extra-time and they almost snatched the victory. Murphy was twice denied by Thomson, who firstly cleared a goal-bound in-swinging corner, before the Hayes stopper pulled off a splendid near-post save to deflect a last minute free-kick.

And so the final was to be decided by a penalty shoot-out, Northwood executing their spot-kicks with aplomb through Carter, Murphy, Terry Hogan and Hall whilst Fishenden performed heroics to ensure Woods were the deserved winners of the Middlesex Senior Cup.