Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Byrne Stand sponsors

Youth section sponsors


Player profiles  Team  Report  Photos

Isthmian League Vandanel Trophy Final 2000

Barking 1  Northwood 2
(at Harrow Borough FC)

Wednesday 19th April 2000


Team line-up
1 Paul Riordan
2 James Burgess
3 Gary Williams
4 Danny Butler
5 Rene Street
6 Dave Sargent
7 David Nolan
8 Chris Gell
9 Steve Hale (sub off)
10 Lawrence Yaku
11 Danny Hart (sub off)
12 Scott Fitzgerald (sub on)
14 Andy Sherry (sub on)
15 Andy Draper


28-year-old 'keeper who joined the Woods last summer from Ruislip Manor. Paul has also spent several seasons with Hanwell Town and has produced some outstanding performances.
Solid and experienced defender who is good in the air and strong in the tackle. Paul is 29 and joined Northwood in the close-season from Southall. Has previous experience at Harefield United and Hayes.
Strong 24-year-old central defender whose first season with Northwood was particularly impressive. Has now played over 100 games for the club and has also scored some important goals this season.
27-year-old Danny is a former Hayes player who has strengthened up the Woods defence since signing in September 1999 and has been almost ever-present ever since.
Tall defender who signed for Northwood back in December 1997 from Uxbridge. Has now made over 135 appearances for the club, Gary's hard-working style has been invaluable.
Former Luton Town player who dropped into the non-League game and has played for several clubs since. These include Berkhamsted Town, Harrow Borough, Yeading, Aylesbury United, Hitchin Town and Leighton, from where he joined the Woods back in December 1999.
Dave made his Northwood debut back in May 1990 and after a long successful spell which helped the club into the Isthmian League he moved on to play for Marlow, Enfield, Purfleet, Chesham United, Chertsey Town and Southall before returning in the summer. Has now played over 210 games for the club.
Chris has been exceptional at the heart of the Northwood midfield since he made his debut in October 1994. Just turned 24, the club captain recently made his 300th appearance for the club and has also scored 68 goals.
Hard-working 23-year-old midfielder who broke into the Northwood first-team in November 1998 having joined from Wembley. Has now made over 70 appearances.
Young 20-year-old striker who progressed through the Northwood youth sides. Made his debut early in 1999 and had won a regular place by the end of the season. Has netted over 25 goals this season.
Nigerian born striker who joined Northwood last summer and quickly made his mark as a goalscorer. Previously with Wealdstone and Ruislip Manor, the 25-year-old possesses bags of pace and skill. Has remarkably netted over 50 goals in all competitions.
Dave has just turned 22, but the former Watford and Wycombe youth player was named both Players' and Supporters' Player of the Year in 1999. Made his Northwood debut back in October 1997 and is now with over 130 games for the club behind him.
Experienced striker who joined the Woods from Brook House in March and quickly got off the mark. Formerly with Beaconsfield Sycob and Ruislip Manor.
Pacy and hard-working player who can operate in midfield or up front. Andy has just turned 22, has around 70 games behind him, and made his Northwood debut in March 1998 having come through the ranks.
Midfield player, now 24, who joined the Woods last summer after spells at Tring and Ruislip Manor during last season.


Northwood produced a superb display to lift the Vandanel Trophy in the final at Harrow Borough. The last defeat for Woods, way back in December, was against Barking, so Tony Choules and his side knew they were going to be in a match. But two goals from ace striker Lawrence Yaku sealed the win and kept alive hopes of the treble.

The Woods began strongly and after just four minutes, Yaku latched on to a flicked header from Steve Hale and stabbed the ball goalwards, but 'keeper Stuart Horne threw out a hand and palmed it wide. It was all Northwood and from a Dave Nolan corner, Horne had to save a well-struck Dave Sargent shot.

On 15 minutes, Sargent fed Yaku down the line. He cut inside and knocked a ball towards Hale, who was just unable to turn it in and the ball was scrambled away. Barking recorded their first effort a minute later, but Paul Riordan dealt comfortably with Derek Asamoah's long-range shot. On 19 minutes, Sargent exchanged passes with Hale and then let fly with a shot which Horne did well to tip over.

Four minutes later, Nolan curled in a free-kick which Horne again tipped over as Yaku closed in on him. Gary Williams then just headed wide from the corner. Northwood's best chance came a minute later. Hale fired over a cross from the right and Yaku beat his marker, but glanced his header wide of a gaping net with just Horne to beat.

Northwood continued to pile on the pressure. Sargent fired over and Chris Gel! saw a shot blocked before the deserved opener on 35 minutes. Yaku sped in to beat both a defender and Horne to a through ball. He looked to have been fouled as he fed Sargent, but when the latter hit the ball back across the face of the goal, Yaku recovered to fire it home.

Northwood had the first chance to score after the break, but Yaku shot weakly after a one-two with Gavin Hart. The same player then volleyed just over a minute later.

The Barking equaliser came on 66 minutes, Lee Parish flicking a header just inside the post to give Riordan no chance. It did not take Northwood long to recover the lead, however. Within four minutes, Horne only cleared to Yaku, who controlled the ball and lobbed the stranded 'keeper from all of 40 yards.

Barking rallied and had a good chance six minutes later, but Riordan palmed an Asamoah shot across the goal and wide of the far post. During the last 15 minutes, Barking rarely got a look in and on 81 some silky skills from Yaku almost led to his hat-trick.

It never mattered, however, as Woods held on to win the trophy for the second time, and spark more wild celebrations among both players and supporters.