Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Byrne Stand sponsors

Youth section sponsors


Player profiles  Team  Report  Photos

Morrant Hellenic League Division One Cup Final 1979

Morris Motors 0 Northwood 2
(at Abingdon Town FC)

Monday 7th May 1979


Team line-up
1 Dave Russell
2 Norman Heslop
3 Steve Revell
4 Barry Gould
5 Peter Carter
6 Steve Floodgate
7 Robin Tidd
8 Ian Harvey
9 Roger Livingstone
10 Martin Ellis (c)
11 John Powell
12 Nigel Franklin


This clash between Morris Motors and Northwood has all the makings of an exciting and high-scoring match as both clubs have played positive, attacking football throughout the season and, in the process scored a hatful of goals.

For Northwood there is the opportunity of possibly completing the League and cup double, and as this is their first season in the Hellenic League, it would complete a very successful entry to our league. Northwood have already won the Middlesex Intermediate Cup, so a hat-trick of trophies is well in their sights.

Morris Motors, on the other hand, have the confidence and moral superiority of knowing that they are the only team to complete the double this season over Northwood in the league.


Goalkeeper who came through the youth ranks at the club, and after playing a number of games last term, he has been a regular this season.
Former Harrow Borough player who was signed from Kingsbury Town in February 1974, and has been a fixture in the side since joining, having now made over 170 appearances.
Strong defender signed last August, and has been a regular in the side all season.
Left-back who joined Northwood at the start of this season, having previously played for Viking Sports, Yeading and Harefield United.
Fine defender who started his Northwood career  in the Harrow & Wembley League days, and has now played approaching 410 league and cup games for the club, despite appearing only intermittently this season. He gained representative honours with the Harrow & Wembley League, Middlesex League and Middlesex County.
Club skipper Alan is in his third season at Northwood after joining from Harrow Borough, and his experience is so valuable to the team.
Midfielder Steve joined Northwood from Harrow Borough at the start of the season, quickly becoming a regular starter.
Experienced defender Martin joined Northwood in February 1976 and was a member of the League Cup winning side last season. Previously at Southall, amongst other clubs.
Robin is approaching his 150th Northwood appearance since joining from Harrow Borough at the start of the 1974-75 season.
A skilful midfield player Ian is now in his second spell with the club, joining originally from Ruislip Manor. Has now made over 150 appearances for Northwood.
Tall striker Roger joined Northwood from Harrow St Mary’s in September 1976, and previously played for Wealdstone.
Striker who joined Northwood from Harrow Borough in 1976, scoring 63 goals in his 67 games to date, a remarkable record! Martin represented the Middlesex League this season.
Midfielder who joined Northwood early on this season, quickly becoming an important part of the side.
Paddy was a prolific scorer for Northwood when he first joined in 1971, becoming manager in 1976, since when he has guided the club to several trophies.


Nigel Franklin was the super-sub by clinching the Hellenic League Cup for Northwood with his first touch of the ball in injury time at Abingdon. Although both sides had been free scoring on the run-in to the final, the fact that no goals came in normal time didn't mean that the match wasn't an exciting affair.

It was a game that bubbled with excitement from start to finish, as first one team then the other grabbed the initiative. In the opening minutes Martin Ellis, skipper in the absence of Alan Merison, shot just over after bursting through.

Morris replied with a series of attacks that brought the best out of the organised Woods defence who had Barry Gould making a vital contribution in the absence of Martin O’Donnell. Nevertheless the woodwork saved the Woods once, and Russell moved smartly off his line on another occasion.

Gradually, however, the gamble in playing four midfield men at the expense of Nigel Franklin, began to pay off. Morris were being pushed deep into defence and their confidence was draining as the Woods applied the pressure.

It seemed a goal must come, Powell had two long shots well saved and Ellis had two efforts charged down.

As normal time drifted towards the last ten minutes, Morris Motors found a new lease of life and came storming back. It was now the Woods’ turn to defend and only a timely interception by Revell saved them.

After having dominated the second half the Woods were now fighting for survival and extra time. However, their defence held firm, with Carter having an inspired game and the match went into extra-time.

As quickly had the Woods lost control in the last minutes of normal time, so they regained it as the match went into extra-time. A flying header by Ellis after good work by Livingstone almost notched vital goal and a awkward bounce robbed Harvey of a chance.

With ten minutes of added time gone Nigel Franklin joined proceedings. The ball was played to Ellis, whose first time pass fell into path of Franklin, who went scurrying for goal with two defenders in hot pursuit. He seemed to have lost his chance as he overtook the ball briefly, but in one quick movement he turned both defenders and blasted the ball into the roof of the net.

In the second period of extra time the Woods didn't fall back to protect their lead and continued to play openly. They were rewarded with a further goal when a corner was swung over and Revell rose above everyone to hammer home a great header.