Player profiles  Team  Report  Photos

Middlesex League Cup Final 1978

Northwood 3  Pitshanger Dynamo 1
(at Hillingdon Borough FC)

Saturday 6th May 1978


Team line-up
1 Dave Russell
2 Norman Heslop
3 Barry Gould
4 Phil Castella
5 Alan Merison (c)
6 Martin O’Donnell
7 Robin Tidd
8 Ian Harvey
9 Roger Livingstone
10 Martin Ellis
11 Gary Cooper
12 Peter Carter


This evening Northwood F.C. play their third Middlesex League Cup Final in four years, and will be looking for their third victory also. Last season Northwood beat Hillingdon British Legion 2-1, and defeated Yeading by the same score in 1975.

Already this season, the club have achieved their first-ever Middlesex League title, after finishing runners-up to Bedfont last season, and to Yeading in 1972, and so are hoping for a "double" this evening.

Northwood Football Club was founded in 1931, and won the Harrow & Wembley League five years in succession from 1933, and during that period also won the Middlesex Junior Cup on three occasions. They picked up trophies regularly in the Harrow League, up to their election to the Middlesex League in 1970.

At present the club field five sides on Saturdays, and two Sunday youth elevens. The third, fourth, and fifth teams compete in the Harrow & Wembley League – the fourth XI were Second Division champions this season – and the youth teams play in the Ealing & Hanwell Youth League.

Following the extension of the Northwood clubhouse and bar last year, they have pushed ahead with their development programme, and the new senior pitch at Northwood Park has now been enclosed, and is suitable for senior football.

The official opening match against the Entertainers XI on Easter Sunday attracted an estimated crowd of 1,400-1,500.

Every indication is that the Northwood club have a bright future, and they are hoping that the future starts this evening, with a Middlesex League double.


Goalkeeper who came through the youth ranks at the club, and made his debut in a record 2-9 home defeat in April 1975!! After playing a number of games last term, he has been a regular this season.
Former Harrow Borough player who was signed from Kingsbury Town in February 1974, and has been a fixture in the side this joining, having now made over 170 appearances.
Strong defender signed last August, and has been a regular in the side all season.
Fine defender who started his Northwood career  in the Harrow & Wembley League days, and has now played approaching 400 league and cup games for the club. He has gained representative honours with the Harrow & Wembley League, Middlesex League and Middlesex County.
Club skipper Alan is in his second season at Northwood after joining from Harrow Borough, and his experience is so valuable to the team.
Battling midfielder Phil joined Northwood last summer and has been a regular throughout this campaign.
Experienced defender Martin joined Northwood in February 1976 and was a member of the League Cup winning side last season. Previously at Southall, amongst other clubs.
Robin is approaching his 150th Northwood appearance since joining from Harrow Borough at the start of the 1974-75 season.
A skilful midfield player Ian is now in his second spell with the club, joining originally from Ruislip Manor. Has now made over 150 appearances for Northwood.
Tall striker Roger joined Northwood from Harrow St Mary’s in September 1976, and previously played for Wealdstone.
Striker who joined Northwood from Harrow Borough in 1976, scoring 63 goals in his 67 games to date, a remarkable record! Martin represented the Middlesex League this season.
Having come through the youth set-up Northwood, Gary was 16 when he made his first team debut. He has had spells at Harefield United and Edgware, returning to Northwood each time.
Paddy was a prolific scorer for Northwood when he first joined in 1971, but nowadays he just makes the odd cameo appearance whilst concentrating on managing the side.


Northwood FC completed the second leg of the Middlesex League double when they beat Pitshanger Dynamo in the League Cup Final at Hillingdon Borough’s Leas Stadium on Saturday evening. Having already clinched the Middlesex League title, Northwood went into the game confident of success, particularly as they had routed their opponents twice during the league programme.

The Woods were in for a rude awakening as Pitshanger turned in a tremendous first half performance that saw them turn round in front. Northwood started well enough, but when they failed to capitalise on their early superiority, the non-stop running game of Pitshanger turned the tide.

The league champions couldn't get their football together and looked totally disjointed as their young opponents took command. The midfield of Northwood couldn't settle at this stage and accordingly the Woods strikers received very little service.

As Pitshanger attacked it was as well that the Woods defence was in an uncompromising mood, and they thwarted the attacks before keeper Dave Russell was tested.

However the one lapse they made was punished and it came after a series of half hearted efforts failed to stop Gillard getting in a shot. Russell saved one handed on the ground, but before he could smother the ball Gillard followed up to force the ball out of his grip and into the net.

What a difference a break makes! Northwood came out after the interval a totally changed side, and instead of waiting for things to come and happen they attacked the ball and made them happen. Pitshanger suddenly lost their legs as Northwood stroked the ball around and once Martin Ellis had equalised following fine work by Norman Heslop, the result was never in doubt.

Northwood attacked in wave after wave, and it was no surprise when Ian Harvey put them ahead with a fine shot from an acute angle after Martin O'Donnell's lofted pass was helped on by Ellis. In the next ten minutes the Woods could have scored many more.

Gary Cooper, who often taunted his marker with close control, had two fine efforts well saved, Ellis failed by inches to add to his previous goal and Robin Tidd had a tremendous drive smothered on the line at the second attempt.

Pitshanger tried to rally, but with skipper Alan Merison and O'Donnell commanding they had little look in when they countered the mounting Woods pressure. Barry Gould and Heslop spent more time in attack than defence and provided Pitshanger trouble as extra wingers.

When Ellis scored the Woods third after a jinking run past two defenders and blinding drive from 18 yards, the match was over, and the Woods could savour the session, playing confidently in the knowledge that the coveted Middlesex League double was theirs.