06/05/2006:  Allieds celebrate success with awards night

Northwood Under 18's celebrated a successful season when they had their awards night at the club. The awards were compered by Kevin Duffy, and first team manager Colin Payne gave an excellent speech. Sam Hurrell, who played for the Reserves last season and has just gained a one-year contract extension as a pro at Chelsea, made the main awards with Colin Payne. Representatives from the Allied Counties League presented awards to all the championship-winning team.

The Special Awards were as follows:

Manager's Player of the Year: James Glass

Players' Player of the Year: Daniel Hawes

Spectators' Player of the Year:  was shared by Adam Gill and Shane ONeill (GK)

Most improved player: Terry Hogan

Top goalscorer in Allied Counties Central Division: Ashley Aimakhu (Northwood 13 plus London Colney 6)

Top Goalscorer all Northwood games: Elliot Buchanan (Allieds 14 plus Reserves 2)

Well done to all the award winners, in fact well done to all the players and the management team for a great season!


2nd May: Northwood 5  Henley Town 2 

The Northwood Allied Counties team showed a lot of character to bounce back after a very disappointing lacklustre first half performance in this game, which saw the Under 18 side go two goals down. The first was a superbly taken free kick form 25 yards which gave Shane O’Neill in goal no chance on 15 minutes. Then on 29 minutes, after a mix up in the Woods' defence, Henley deservedly went 2-0 up with a good finish: this very talented Henley team also hit a post, with the Woods' team still not at the races.

Northwood did have their chances but had to wait until the 44th minute when Ashley Aimakhu headed home a Billy Baker cross to reduce the arrears for a 1-2 half time score line.

The young Woods were much better in the second half after an interval discussion and sort out. Following some great work from Luke Lynam and James Glass, Aimakhu scored the goal of the game when he smashed the ball into the top right hand corner on 49 minutes.

Shane O’Neill put the young Woods 3-2 up when he also smashed the ball in off the underside of the crossbar in the 58th minute. Elliot Buchanan then set up Aimakhu for his hat-trick on 74 minutes: this was his 17th goal since joining the team in December, and he has now scored in the last eight successive games - another good signing by Tony Day.

Good play from Greg Dinham in the 88th minute set up Daniel Hawes to complete the scoring, giving his team a fine 5-2 victory and their tenth win on the bounce. Great credit must go to the squad for a fine season; the lads lost just one game in the league, and that was way back on September 14th.

NORTHWOOD: O’Neill, Brown, Hogan, Gill, Lynam, Baker (Sexton 65), O’Neill, Hawes, Buchanan, Aimakhu (Dinham 76), Glass (Campbell 69). Subs not used Duffy, Poole.

19th April: Northwood 5  Marlow 0

With the title already secured, the Under 18's recorded their ninth straight victory as they go from strength to strength - they now top the table by seven points with one game remaining. Ashley Aimakhu continued his fine goal scoring form when hitting two more goals - that’s ten from his last nine matches - and man of the match Elliot Buchanan smashed a superb hat-trick, as the young Woods ran riot in the second half.

Buchanan opened the scoring on five minutes with a right foot volley from 20 yards hitting the top right hand corner of the net, and several other chances were made, but the final cutting edge was missing as the Woods appeared to go through the motions in the first half.

A much sharper Northwood side turned out for the second half, and on 49 minutes Aimakhu smashed his first from close range to put his team 2-0 up. Buchanan was unlucky when striking the post on 54 minutes, and nine minutes later Shane O’Neil also hit a post as the young Woods dominated.

James Glass missed a couple of good chances before on 75 minutes unselfishly setting up Aimakhu, who showed him how to find the net to make it 3-0. Then on 84 minutes the unlucky Aimakhu was hauled down just as he was about to get his third: a penalty was awarded and the Marlow player dismissed. Buchanan stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way for  4-0, and three minutes from the end, he completed his hat-trick and wrapped up the scoring with one of his speciality free kicks from 25 yards.

NORTHWOOD: O’Neill (Poole 65), Brown, Hogan, Gill (Duffy 65), Lynam, Dinham (Campbell 55), O’Neill, Hawes, Buchanan (Campbell 75), Aimakhu, Glass. Subs not used White, Ohene.


12th April: Northwood 4  Maidenhead United 1 

The Under 18's notched their eighth successive victory by beating Maidenhead United 4-1 at Chestnut Avenue. With the victory came the Central Division title, Northwood moving four points clear at the top with two games (both at home) still to play.

It was an excellent first-half performance that won the youngsters the three points on this occasion. Playing with a terrific tempo, a great move Shane O'Neill goes for goalresulted in Shane O'Neill giving the Woods a tenth-minute lead and six minutes later, left-back Luke Lynam got in on the act when he fired home a loose ball after his original shot had been saved by the Maidenhead goalkeeper.

James Glass went close to adding a third goal before the Magpies were given a lifeline when awarded a penalty for some pushing in the box that the referee was alone in spotting. Having successfully converted, Maidenhead were then rocked back again two minutes later. Adam Gill started a move out of defence and Elliott Buchanan played a ball across the six-yard box where Dave Sexton ghosted in to make it 3-1.

Chances came thick and fast, with Man-of-the-Match Shane O'Neill going close on a couple of occasions, while the visitors' keeper made two excellent saves from Adam Gill and Ashley Aimakhu.

In the second-half the Woods were well in control for the first twenty-five minutes, but failed to add to the scoring as James Glass and Elliott Buchanan missed the target. On 72 minutes, O'Neill impressed again with some superb control of a cross but then blotted his copybook by putting his close-range shot wide of the post.

The fourth and final goal came after 76 minutes when Ashley Aimakhu broke through to score for the fifth successive game. The Maidenhead 'keeper was injured at the same time and had to be replaced for the final fifteen minutes but it was the Magpies who threaten most in the closing stages, missing a couple of half-chances.

In the end, the Woods can be very pleased with their performance and can now look forward to playing in the elite Premier Division of the Allied Counties League next season. Congratulations to all the players and the management team of Tony Day, Dave Lester, Ray Flegg and Gary Grey.

NORTHWOOD: Shane O'Neill, Billy Baker (Daniel Brown), Luke Lynam, Daniel Hawes, Terry Hogan, Adam Gill, Dave Sexton (Theo Ohene), Shane O'Neill, Ashley Aimakhu, James Glass, Elliott Buchanan.

Report by Alan Evans


5th April: Henley Town 1  Northwood 4 

The Under 18's moved to the top of the Allied Counties League with another great away performance, this time at fellow title-chasers Henley, and the team now require just one victory from three home games to bring the league title to Chestnut Avenue.

The team is going from strength to strength, and had this game under control throughout, only a string of super saves from the Henley keeper keeping the score down to four.

Early on, Daniel Hawes hit the bar from 30 yards, and both Billy Baker and James Glass had fine efforts saved. But then Elliott Buchanan set the Woods on their way in the 18th minute after Ashley Aimakhu effort was well saved. Aimakhu then doubled the lead on 30 minutes when he finished well under pressure.

Henley pulled one back five minutes before half-time with a well taken goal, to give the young Woods something to think about at the interval.

Northwood regrouped at half time and went on to completely dominate the second half. Aimakhu scored his second and Woods' third on 49 minutes, and then the unlucky Glass finally found the net in the 55th minute for Northwood’s fourth.

Again and again the young Woods attacked the Henley goal, but found the home keeper in fine form to deny them any further goals.

This was a smashing all-round team performance.

NORTHWOOD: O’Neill, Brown, Hogan, Gill, Lynam, Baker (O’Neill 65), Sexton, Hawes, Buchanan (Campbell 75), Aimakhu, Glass (Ohene 60). Subs not used: Poole, Duffy.


29th March: Maidenhead United 0  Northwood 3 

The Under 18's moved up to second in the league with another polished away performance, putting themselves in a great position with four games remaining: just two wins are needed to take the title, but they must beat third-placed Henley away in a mouth-watering fixture next Wednesday evening.

The team started very slowly this week at Maidenhead, and it was against the run of play when they took the lead: Nicky Pearce broke from right back, his pass split the defence to set James Glass on his way, and his pinpoint cross found Ashley Aimakhu, who was able to tap home after 19 minutes,

On 38 minutes a speciality Elliott Buchanan 20 yard free kick was the highlight of the evening, curling the ball with pace into the top right hand corner, top class, to give the young Woods a 2-0 - but maybe fortuitous - half time lead,

The second half was much improved, and Northwood had several chances to increase the lead, but had to wait until the 84th minute when Shane Campbell, who came on at half-time, went on a great run. He went round three players before coolly slotting past the keeper for another superb 3-0 away win.

A special mention for the defence, as all of them put in excellent displays just as in previous weeks, giving keeper Shane O’Neill yet another quiet night.

NORTHWOOD: O’Neill, Pearce, Hawes, Gill, Lynam, Baker (Campbell 45), Sexton, Brown, Buchanan, Aimakhu (White 76), Glass (Dinham 65), Sub not used: Poole.

22nd March: Marlow 0  Northwood 3 

A super first half team performance saw the Under 18's to their fifth straight win, to close in on the teams above them in the league. Captain Daniel Brown could not take part after injuring himself earlier in the day, so Daniel Hawes took over the arm band, and led the team superbly.

James Glass, Ashley Aimakhu, and the commanding Adam Gill were very unlucky not to score early on as the young Woods team took control.

Then on 17 minutes Elliott Buchanan whipped in a cross for Aimakhu to score on the near post; Glass made it 2-0 on 26 minutes after a great team move, then Shane O’Neill completed the scoring with a well-taken goal,

Marlow were always dangerous in a very entertaining first half, and Woods Keeper Shane O’Neill had to made a great one-on-one save to keep the score 3-0 at the interval.

Northwood kept control of the game in the second half, with defenders Baker, Hogan, Gill, and Lynam in excellent form, stopping every thing thrown at them and then setting up play. Chances went begging as Woods tried to increase the scoreline, the best effort coming from a Buchanan shot from 25 yards which rebounded of the underside of the cross bar.

NORTHWOOD: O'Neill, Baker, Hogan, Gill, Lynam, Glass, O’Neill (White), Hawes, Buchanan, Sexton, Aimakhu (Ohern). Subs not used: Poole, Dinham, Campbell.

15th March: Burnham 1  Northwood 4


A goal after only two minutes from Shane O’Neill set the Under 18's Allied Counties team on their way to victory, and closes the gap at the top of the table to seven points with four games in hand.

All the players performed very well, especially at the back with goalkeeper Shane O’Neill not having a save to make all game, The Northwood team dominated throughout, and had two goals ruled out, before finally on 32 minutes they increased the score line, Ashley Aimakhu beating the offside trap to slot past the keeper.

Three minutes later the same happened, this time he took it around the keeper before blasting the ball into the net for his second. Then on 40 minutes Elliott Buchanan smashed home from out wide on the right to give the Woods a cracking 0-4 half time lead.

One change was made at half time, with Dave Sexton coming on for Theo Ohern, and although no more goals were scored, Northwood played their best football making numerous chances. Shane O’Neill (midfield) was having a superb game, his best since joining, making several openings for his team mates, only to see the Burnham keeper make some fine saves,

Burnham scored a consolation goal on 78 minutes when the ball looped high over O’Neill (keeper), and just underneath the cross bar.

The team is bonding well & getting stronger with every game, leaving the Under 18 management delighted and very pleased with the boys’ progress.

NORTHWOOD: O’Neill, Brown, Hogan, Gill, Lynam, Glass (Campbell), O’Neill, Hawes, Buchanan, Ohern (Sexton), Aimakhu (Dinham). Subs not used: Poole, Baker.

9th February: Northwood 2  Wokingham & Emmbrook 0

This was another good result for the youth boys as they completed the double over a very good Wokingham team.

Wokingham started the better, with some fine passing causing Northwood plenty of problems without threatening the home goal. Woods started to come more into the game, though, and a fine move involving Shane O’Neill resulted in them taking the lead. O’Neill put Elliott Buchanan through on the left, his pinpoint cross finding James Glass to fire home from six yards after 20 minutes.

Soon after, Glass headed home for a second but this was ruled out for offside. Northwood continued to make most of the chances as the half wore on but couldn’t improve the score line.

Wokingham again started much the better at the opening of the second half, but Adam Gill and Terry Hogan were in fine form in the centre of the Northwood defence, stopping all Wokingham could sling at them.

The game flowed from end to end, and Theo Ohern had a fine chance, only to be chopped down by the Wokingham keeper, who was lucky to stay on the pitch. The visiting number one then made a great save from the free kick as Buchanan curled it with pace at the top right hand corner from the edge of the box.

But Buchanan wasn’t to be denied, and he sealed victory five minutes later with an even better free kick, this time 22 yards out, hammering it into the opposite corner to seal a fine 2-0 victory.

NORTHWOOD: O’Neill, Brown, Gill, Hogan, Campbell, Baker (Dinham), Hawes, O’Neill (Sexton), Buchanan, Ohern, Glass (O’Flynn). Subs. not used: Riley & Poole.


25th January: Wokingham & Emmbrook 0  Northwood 3

Woods' Allied Counties side gained an excellent 3-0 win at Wokingham & Emmbrook with a workmanlike performance. Shane O'Neill scored on his debut, and the other goals came from Theo Ahern and Greg Dinham.

Manager Ray Flegg said that he was very pleased with the result.


12th January: Northwood 4 Burnham 1

The Woods' Allied Counties League side moved up into third place in the table after an impressive 4-1 home win against Burnham. The goals came from Elliott Buchanan, James Glass, Theo Ohene, and Ashley Aimakhu.

13th December: Potters Bar Town 3 Northwood 2 (after extra time)

Woods’ Allied Counties side threw away a two-goal lead at Potters Bar Town to crash out of the Middlesex Senior Youth Cup at the quarter-final stage. Northwood took the lead in the 3rd minute when Bill Baker was left unmarked on the six-yard line to covert a simple cross. The home side did little to indicate that they would be capable of getting level, until the 30th minute when they hit the crossbar in a rare attack. But in the 39th minute the Woods extended their lead with a coolly taken penalty for Baker’s second following a foul on forward Theo Ohene.

Had our youngsters taken the two-goal lead into the break they might have prevented the comeback, but two minutes before the break they failed to clear a straightforward free kick launched into the box and in the confusion scored an own goal.

In the 54th minute Woods had a goal disallowed and after the hour mark Potters Bar finally came more into the game. And with just sixteen minutes left Lee Tidiman headed home a corner to bring the sides level. Then in extra time Tom Allian scored either side of the break to present victory to Potters Bar, amid great disappointment for the Northwood squad.