Northwood 1  Binfield 0

Tuesday 5th September 2023

Match highlights by @tompeel157 here

1 Andrew McCorkell    
2 Teddy Stacey    
3 Luke Brophy    
4 Carl Stewart    
5 Luke Tingey ©    
6 Harry Gallagher    
7 Deago Dunbar Bonnie    
8 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway    
9 Dan Williams    
10 Osaretin Otote (78m)    
11 Kofi Anokye Boadi (83m)    
12 Archie Coulter    
14 Ben Crowder    
15 Romario Jonas    
16 Sam Jenkins (83m)    
17 Jaden Newman (78m)    
18 Jack Smith    
19 Matt Messer    

Harvey Rackley-Hayes, Troy Murray, Liam Campbell, George Winser , Daniel Lewis , Michak Stanic-Stewart (Connor Jeanes 93m), Finn Harvey, Rechan Esprit, Noah Chengun, Benjamin Stallard, Zeid Hannachi


Northwood left it late with a stoppage time winner as they finally overcame Binfield to progress to the second qualifying round of the F.A. Cup after a closely fought replay on a balmy Skyline evening.

Woods began with the same team which finished Saturday’s game with Luke Brophy making his first start at left-back as Deago Dunbar-Bonnie continued in a more advanced role while Osaretin Otote started on the right flank.

There was a good tempo to the game from the off as Binfield’s Troy Murray headed narrowly wide from Zeid Hannachi’s deep cross before the confident Murray tried his luck with a shot from the edge of the box which was safely gathered by Northwood goalkeeper Andrew McCorkell.

At the other end, Otote got round the back of the Moles’ defence before delivering a teasing cross which evaded a red shirt before Dan Williams tested visiting ‘keeper Harvey Rackley-Barnes with a sharp near-post shot after being played in by strike partner Kofi Anokye-Boadi.

However, Woods had McCorkell to thank after Harry Gallagher’s under-hit back-pass was intercepted by Ben Stallard who had time to set himself but was denied by the Woods stopper with the goal at his mercy.

The visitors continued to threaten with their sharp, incisive play and it was Stallard who was once again denied by McCorkell after the striker looked to convert after Rechan Esprit had created the opening.

Having stood firm, Woods looked to get back on the offensive with Williams seeing more of the ball in the final third – a lobbed cross dropping wide after Rackley-Hayes had left his goal unguarded before the Northwood number nine sent over a deep cross which was met by the head of Dunbar-Bonnie, who headed into the arms of Rackley-Hayes.

PHOTOS by James Brown

Woods maintained their strong finish to an entertaining opening period, and they were denied by an upright as Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway’s back-header from Luke Tingey’s flat throw into the box came back of the woodwork before being hastily cleared.

Binfield were the first to show after the break as George Winser broke forward from the back before unleashing a long-range attempt which failed to trouble McCorkell. But following a tactical change with Otote and Dunbar Bonnie swapping flanks, Northwood began to get on top – Dunbar-Bonnie having a shot deflected behind after good work from Anokye-Boadi while the latter saw a shot gathered by Rackley-Hayes after the Moles defence failed to clear a Gallagher free-kick.

Woods kept the pressure on the Binfield rearguard with Tingey’s throw into the box finding the head of Alexander-Greenaway whose stooping header drifted wide of the far post before Rackley-Hayes produced another fine save to keep out Williams’ low shot with Liam Campbell executing a timely block to keep out Dunbar-Bonnie’s follow-up attempt.

Northwood made a change on 79 minutes as Otote made way for Jaden Newman with Dunbar Bonnie resuming his position on the left and the latter was involved again as he flicked a header wide from another accurately delivered throw from Tingey.

However, Binfield reminded Northwood of their threat as a quick counterattack saw McCorkell called into action as he dealt with a shot from Finn Harvey.

Woods made another change on 84 minutes as Sam Jenkins replaced Anokye-Boadi in an attacking role and the lively substitute was quickly into the action as he was played into the box by Williams with his shot from an acute angle rebounding off the near upright.

Both sides were doing their utmost to settle the tie before extra-time, Woods scrambling clear after a goalmouth melee and play immediately switching to the other end withRackley-Hayes leaving his area to prevent Williams from breaking through.

However, with a minute of stoppage time played, Woods worked the ball up to Williams once again on the edge of the box and as the advancing Rackley-Hayes looked to smother the danger the striker checked back to play the ball into the path of Carl Stewart, who kept his composure to sweep the ball home to send players and supporters into delirium with Northwood booking a home appointment with Cray Valley Paper Mills in the next round.

REPORT by Robin Piper