Northwood Res. 2  Colliers Wood Res. 1

Saturday 6th April 2013


Premier B Division
Northwood Park
Team line-up


1 Garry Malone
2 Eric Nyarko
3 Correy Ellis
4 Fraser Robbins
5 Jarrad Engelbrecht
6 Theo Hunte
7 Michael Dixon
8 Aaron Watson
9 Denis Nortey (76m)
10 Romaine Walker  
11 Adam Haddad (86m)  
12 Sofian Taghi (86m)  
14 Rumaine Scarlett (76m)  
15 Reggie Nelson  
16 Ken Obeng  
17 Bart Koprowski  

Northwood reserves started slow again in this match, and were put under pressure from the kick-off by a spirited Colliers Wood side. Three minutes into the game Garry Malone’s goal kick found Adam Haddad just outside the Colliers’ 18 yard box, he managed to side stepped a couple of defenders but his shot went just wide of the post. The visitors came straight back down the other end and were given too much time in midfield; unchallenged their right midfielder was able to float a cross into the Northwood area that found the number 8 unmarked for a free header to open the scoring on four minutes. Then Colliers Wood’s midfield where on the attack again slotting a ball into the path of their number 10, who was on his own with just the keeper to beat. Thankfully Malone was able to block his shot and make another save in the 5th minute.

Cory Ellis was back alongside Jarrad Engelbrecht in the heart of the defence, and together they were instrumental in calming the Northwood youngsters down after the early shaky start and set back, allowing the team to settle and get back into the game. Romaine Walker was looking sharp up front and causing the Colliers defence all sorts of trouble and was unlucky not to score on seven minutes with a shot from just outside the box that deflected wide for a corner. Three minutes later Malone was called into action again tipping an awkward in swinging corner over the bar. Michael Dixon ran onto a nice through ball from Walker on 26 minutes, holding off a couple of defenders before laying the ball into the path of Haddad, whose effort was blocked just inside the box.

Northwood were starting to take control of the game, and when Denis Nortey played a slick one-two with Dixon just outside the box, he was unlucky to see his shot sail over the bar. Walker was causing more trouble for the Colliers defence, and when he skipped past two defenders enroute towards the goal he was cynically fouled just outside the box. Amazingly the ref didn’t see anything wrong with the challenge! Four minutes later Walker was on the attack again and when he nutmegged one of the Colliers defenders just inside the box, he was flattened by their centre half, and a Northwood penalty was awarded.

Aaron Watson stepped up and converted the spot-kick to bring the score level 1-1 on 36 minutes. Two minutes later Malone did well to save a shot from six yards out from one of the Colliers Wood’s strikers; before pinging the ball down field to Dixon, who then threaded a quick pass to Walker; he found himself one on one with the keeper, but unfortunately his delicate chip drifted wide of the post.

The Woods started slowly again in the second half, with Colliers Woods dominating the opening five minutes. Walker continued where he left off in the first half and once again was causing all sorts of trouble on the left wing. The full-back couldn’t handle his quick feet and brought him down just outside the left corner of the box for another foul on 51 minutes. Haddad drove the resulting free kick low and hard across the face of the goal, but no-one was quick enough to latch on to the cross and it went harmlessly wide for a goal kick. Two minutes later Watson picked the ball up just inside the Colliers Woods half and drove forward towards the goal, before shooting wide.

Woods were piling on the pressure now and Haddad went close to scoring three times with good efforts in the 56th, 61st and 69th minutes. Then a Malone free kick found Walker just outside the box; he dropped his shoulder slipped past a defender and fired a long range curling effort that just missed the top right hand corner of the goal.

Three minutes later Walker picked up the ball inside the box from a quick well-worked counter attack; and as he turned the Colliers defender he was scythed down for was seemed like a nailed-on penalty; however, the referee who was only feet away waved play on.  It was one-way traffic at this point and Woods again went close to taking the lead in the 80th minute from another good effort from Walker. The team’s hard work and determination finally paid off in the 84th minute when Dixon ran on to a free kick from Malone and slotted home from just inside the box. Haddad who had a very good debut was replaced in the 86th minute by Sofian Taghi.

Walker picked up the ball on the left wing again in the last two minutes of normal time and dribbled through three players before being chopped down again inside the box. This time the referee pointed to the spot, and Walker stepped up to take the penalty on 89 minutes, but unfortunately he shot just over the bar. With around four minutes of injury time, Woods closed up shop and saw the game out for a much needed and deserved win.
Overall, this was a really good team performance; with shape and discipline from the back four and a gritty determined effort from the midfield and front-line, including a stand out Man of the Match display from Romaine Walker.