Northwood 2  Marlow 1

Tuesday 12th September 2023


1 Matt Messer    
2 Mikey Tierney    
3 Luke Brophy    
4 Harry McCorkell    
5 Luke Tingey ©    
6 Romario Jonas    
7 Osaretin Otote (70m)    
8 Sam Jenkins (62m)    
9 Jaden Newman (70m)    
10 Jack Smith (81m)    
11 Ben Crowder    
12 Kofi Anokye Boadi (81m)    
14 Deago Dunbar Bonnie (70m)    
15 Harry Gallagher    
16 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway (62m)    
17 Godlove Oppong (70m)    

Aaron Watkins, Elijah Oladunjoye, Kane Guy-Seifert (Anquar Zeroual 46m), Louis Rogers, Sebastian D'Aversa, Malachi Talent-Aryeetey (Dawid Rogalski 62m), Joshua Boorn (Harrison Bayley 78m), Jordan Hamilton-Olise, Kai Hamilton-Olise (Naheer-Omar Nawaf 71m), Charlie Samuel, Lindell Stewart


Northwood secured a second successive win over Marlow as they progressed in the league cup competition at a damp Skyline Roofing Stadium.

Both sides were much changed from their weekend efforts in the F.A. Trophy, with goalkeeper Matt Messer and right-back Mikey Havill-Tierney making their Woods debut. And there was a first start of the season for Romario Jonas who partnered Luke Tingey in central defence, with the latter having recovered from the knock he sustained at Ramsgate. There were also a first starts for Jaden Newman as he assumed the centre-forward position while Ben Crowder took on a right-sided attacking role.

The contest, which commenced in squally wind and rain, began at a frenetic pace with Josh Boorn firing over for the visitors before Sam Jenkins, taking on the attacking midfield role, was almost in for the hosts.

Marlow continued to threaten at pace with Seb D’Aversa heading wide from a Boorn cross, Havill- Tierney executing a well-timed tackle on Malachi Talent-Aryeetey as he looked to convert before Jordan Hamilton-Olise dragged a shot wide when well placed.

The match continued at a furious tempo with Marlow keeper Aaron Watkins just managing to punch clear from Jenkins as he looked to latch onto Newman’s chest-down from Osaretin Otote’s cross while at the other end, Kai Hamilton-Olise screwed a shot wide before he turned provider for Charlie Samuel who was off target with his header.

Samuel went close again for the Blues as his shot deflected wide, but it was Northwood who opened the scoring on 33 minutes as Jenkins threaded a pass to Crowder who fired in a stinging, long range shot which Watkins could only parry into the patch of Otote who stroked the ball home for his fourth goal of the season.

PHOTOS by Haydn Kettel

And things got even better for Woods as they extended their lead on 39 minutes with Jenkins the catalyst once again as he fed Newman who made space for himself on the edge of the box before crashing a shot into the top corner to open his Northwood account.

Marlow looked to get back in the contest before the break and they twice went close as Messer pulled off a fine save to deny Boorn before Kai Hamilton-Olise poked the ball wide as he was pursued by Luke Brophy.

Woods were the first to show after the break with the impressive Jenkins threading a delightful ball inside the full-back to Crowder who drew Watkins into a flying save to keep his side in the contest. But Northwood almost gifted the Blues a way back into the tie as Jack Smith’s attempted back-pass was latched onto by Kai Hamilton-Olise who shot beyond Messer but saw his effort cleared off the line by Havill-Tierney, who was enjoying a fine debut.

Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway was introduced for Jenkins as Woods made their first change on 62 minutes and the hosts looked to put the contest to bed as Harry McCorkell saw his shot deflected wide following an incisive move involving Crowder, Otote and Newman before Otote’s curling shot flew narrowly wide of the far upright.

Woods made further changes with a long-awaited first appearance for Godlove Oppong following his recovery from injury as he replaced Newman, while Otote made way for Deago Dunbar-Bonnie. The hosts continued to threaten as Watkins produced another smart save to deny Alexander-Greenaway after he latched onto a stray pass with Oppong firing over the rebound.

However, with substitute Dawid Rogalski added to the Marlow frontline, the visitors pushed Northwood onto the backfoot as the tie moved into the latter stages with fellow substitute Rhys Harper and Samuel going close while Messer tipped over an effort from Louis Rogers.

Northwood made another change as Kofi Anokye-Boadi entered the fray with Smith making way. But Rogalski ensured it would be a nervy finale for the hosts as he reduced the deficit with a goal on 88 minutes.

And with the referee allocating a surprising nine minutes of added time, the tie was far from over with Rogalski seeing his close-range shot headed clear before Samuel headed wide from a corner – Woods finally able to breathe a sigh of relief as time was called on an entertaining evening of cup football.

REPORT by Robin Piper