Leatherhead 0  Northwood 0

Tuesday 17th October 2023


1 Andrew McCorkell
2 Teddy Stacey
3 Deago Dunbar Bonnie
4 George Milner-Smith
5 Luke Tingey ©
6 Romario Jonas
7 Carl Stewart
8 Harry McCorkell
9 Dan Williams (92m)
10 Kofi Anokye-Boadi
11 Osaretin Otote (95m)
12 Sam Jenkins (95m)
14 Prince Mbengui
15 Harry Gallagher
16 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway (92m)
17 Zeid Hannach

Mikey Allen, Alpha Diallo (Trey Masikini 66m ), Michael Elechi, Luther Williams (Tyler Cox 65m), Ollie Cook, Frank Puemo, Gus Sow (Junior Savane 78m), Kenny Beaney, Trevan Robinson, Daniel Hector, Omarr Lawson

Northwood finally had something to smile about as they put an end to their long losing run with a hard-fought draw at high-flying Leatherhead who were looking for a win to take them to the summit of the table.

Woods showed a couple of changes from the weekend loss at Raynes Park, Harry McCorkell coming into the midfield for Prince Mbengui while Osaretin Otote replaced Zeid Hannachi in the left-sided attacking role.

The contest began at a brisk pace with the Tanners having the first opportunity of the evening as Northwood goalkeeper Andrew McCorkell miscued a clearance on the edge of the box with Gus Sow returning a low shot which drifted narrowly wide of the unguarded net. And McCorkell was involved again moments later as was quickly out to smother the danger as Trevan Robinson threatened.

Woods had themselves started with purpose and at a good tempo and a slick move involving Dan Williams, Otote and Kofi Anokye-Boadi led to the latter’s shot being deflected by goalkeeper Mikey Allen with Williams finding the side-netting as he looked to squeeze the loose ball home from a tight angle.

Leatherhead continued to probe with the lively Daniel Hector to the fore – the Northwood wall doing its wall as they kept out a free-kick before the Tanners striker sent a long-range shot wide and had another effort blocked by the Woods defence.  But Woods continued to create opportunities of their own as Williams shot narrowly wide from distance as he latched onto a long drop-kick from McCorkell before Allen gathered a shot from Carl Stewart after a Luke Tingey throw was cleared to the edge of the box.

The Tanners had the last chance of an entertaining opening half and it was Hector again who looked to capitalise after Northwood struggled to clear their lines, his curling shot narrowly clearing the crossbar.

After Leatherhead had caused Northwood some concern soon after the restart with Alpha Diallo seeing his close-range shot blocked by the resolute Woods defence, the visitors went on the offensive as Boadi had a shot charged down in the box. And Woods proceeded to force a couple of corners with Deago Dunbar-Bonnie’s precise delivery causing Leatherhead concern as an almighty scramble ensued in the six-yard box with the ball refusing to cross the goal-line.

The Tanners made a double substitution as they looked to freshen up their attack, but Northwood were working exceptionally hard across the park as they continued to frustrate their hosts – Romario Jonas blocking an effort from Trey Masikini while Frank Puemo headed wide from a corner.

But Northwood continued to offer an attacking threat as Allen conceded a corner as he touched Otote’s cross behind as Williams challenged for the ball – George Milner-Smith seeing his header deflected behind for another corner from which Williams headed over from Otote’s hanging cross after Harry McCorkell had kept the play alive.

Woods continued to hold a good defensive shape against a Leatherhead outfit that appeared to be running out of ideas and it was Northwood who went close to breaking the deadlock in the closing stages as Milner-Smith’s stooping header from Dunbar-Bonnie’s freekick was gathered by Allen.

Northwood made a substitution as the contest moved into added time with Williams making way for Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway. And the remaining minutes elapsed without any serious drama at either end with Woods able to breathe a huge sigh of relief at recording their first league point since the end of August.

REPORT by Robin Piper